Twice weekly e-news bulletins

Access to our News, Forums and Blogs
OR

If you want to read our in-depth research articles or
have our amazing magazine delivered to your home
each month, then you have to pay.

Click here if you're interested
Helping you make better health choices

In shops now or delivered to your home from only £3.50 an issue!

Subscribe!

Men ACWY virus for new students

penny.dale

13 Sep 2016 @ 11:31AM

My daughter has just started university (19 yrs old) and I was in a quandary about it too! She had a really bad reaction to the whooping cough vaccine as a baby and had some other health issues so she has not had any vaccines since. I did a lot of research and it is difficult to find. I found this on the Public Health England website https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/534285/hpr2116_IMD.pdf

to look at the statistics for England which are broken down into Meningitis cases by type and age. For Q1 Jan 2016 to Mar 2016 15-19 yr olds Men B 17 cases of which there is no vaccine, Men A no cases, Men C 1 case, Men W 4 cases, Men Y 3 cases and 1 other case ungroupable. Therefore 9 (as no vaccine protection for B) cases for the quarter. For Q3, 4 and 1 (2015-2016) the total no is 64 cases in the 15-19 year olds and I have not deducted the Men B cases which are the significant number of cases. The vaccination program does say that it cannot totally prevent you from getting meningitis but that you probably would not get a severe case. Not sure how this has been established. Anyhow I have advised my daughter so she can make the decision and hoping she doesn't have it. I have looked at homeopathic Men ACWY prevention too as an alternative. Good luck hope your daughter enjoys Uni!

nasimmons

17 Aug 2016 @ 10:45AM

My daughter is about to start university and has been advised to have the new meningitis ACWY vaccine that was introduced last year. She is terrified of getting meningitis so want to have it. I am not so sure. I approach these issues on a risk and benefit basis but cannot find any reliable information, only 'official' advice to have the vaccine. Anyone any thoughts or experience on this one?

Latest Tweet

About

Since 1989, WDDTY has provided thousands of resources on how to beat asthma, arthritis, depression and many other chronic conditions.

Start by looking in our fully searchable database, active and friendly community forums and the latest health news.

Positive SSL Wildcard

Facebook Twitter

Most Popular Health Website of the Year 2014

© 2010 - 2017 WDDTY Publishing Ltd.
All Rights Reserved